Public Health Research Internship Program
Thank you for your interest in being an intern with us!
The purpose of this internship program is to provide college students with an opportunity to gain practical experience in the field of public health. Through this program, students will have the opportunity to work with Joyee Washington Public Health Consulting and learn about various aspects of public health, including research, consulting, and educational outreach.
To apply for the internship program, students will be required to complete an online application that includes submitting a resume and cover letter. They will also be required to provide two references (name and email), one academic and one professional. Applications are due Wednesday May 31, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be reviewed by the CEO. Applicants will be evaluated based on relevant qualifications, interest and enthusiasm, professionalism, and references. Selected applicants will be invited for a Zoom interview with the CEO. After the interview process, up to two interns will be invited to participate in the program.
Benefits of the Internship:
- Hands-on experience in public health research, consulting, and education
- Mentorship and guidance from experienced public health professionals
- Networking opportunities with professionals in the field
- Opportunity to make a positive impact on the community
- To provide students with hands-on experience in the field of public health
- To expose students to the various roles and responsibilities of public health professionals
- To enhance students’ knowledge and skills in public health research, consulting, and education
- To provide students with the opportunity to network with professionals in the field
- Must be a United States (U.S.) citizen.
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited U.S. college or university in an undergraduate or graduate program in a related field such as public health, health sciences, social sciences, or related fields.*
- Must be available to work 10-15 hours per week for the duration of the internship program.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in pursuing a career in public health research, community health, or a related field.
*Enrollment verfication may be requested at any time during the application process.
Internship Program Structure:
The internship program is fully remote and will last for 8 weeks, beginning on June 12th and ending on August 4th. Interns will work a total of 10 hours per week. The program will be structured as follows:
Weeks 2-5: Research and consulting projects
Weeks 6-7: Educational outreach and community engagement projects
Week 8: Final presentations and wrap-up
During the first week of the program, students will participate in an onboarding/orientation to learn about the organization, the program, and the public health field. Interns will have weekly check-in meetings with the CEO.
In weeks 2-5, students will work on research and consulting projects, which will provide them with hands-on experience in conducting research and working with clients. They will work closely with the CEO to design and implement research studies, analyze data, and develop recommendations for clients.
In weeks 6-7, students will participate in educational outreach and community engagement projects, which will allow them to interact with the community and promote public health initiatives. They will work with their mentors to develop educational materials, organize events, and engage with community partners.
In the final week of the program, interns will get the opportunity to share their experiences in public health as a guest on The Public Health Joy Podcast. They will also participate in a wrap-up session to reflect on their experiences and provide feedback on the program.
*This program structure and schedule may be changed at the discretion of the CEO. Interns will be notified promptly of any changes.
If funds allow, interns will receive a $1000 scholarship upon successful completion of the internship. The scholarship is not guaranteed, but interns will be notified of details based on funding opportunities.
Expectations and Responsibilities of Interns:
- Interns are expected to be punctual, professional, and accountable for their work.
- Interns must adhere to the organization’s code of conduct and values.
- Interns must maintain confidentiality and protect the privacy of clients and participants.
Evaluation and Feedback:
- Interns will receive feedback from the CEO
- Interns will participate in a final evaluation at the end of the program to provide feedback on their experience.